Sun in Capricorn – Material and Spiritual Benefits The Entrance of the Sun in Sidereal Capricorn and Important Astrological Changes for All
January 14 marks the Sun’s triumphant entrance in sidereal Makara, Sanskrit for Capricorn, a reason for great celebration in India and Vedic astrology.
This transit is considered a wonderful opportunity for you to embrace both the spiritual and material light connected with this luminary.
The renewed rays from the Capricorn Sun are believed to have a major impact on your soul, finances, and overall well-being.
Whether you believe this literally or figuratively, you may notice a new spring in your step.
Meaning of Makara Shankranti
In a way, this planetary transit celebrates the Vedic winter solstice.
In fact, once upon a time (about 1700 years ago) Makara Shankranti actually coincided with our Western winter solstice.
Difference Between Vedic and Western Astrology
Vedic astrology is considered to be extremely accurate, and a science (according to the Supreme Court and University Grants Commission of India) because it’s based on the so-called fixed constellations.
Whereas Western tropical astrology is based both on the seasons, and the precession of the equinoxes, which have caused a gap in clarity, as all the signs in the zodiac appear to have moved.
Plus, according to the yogic Vedic tradition, when the Sun enters Uttara Ashada or Eta Theta Sagittarii, which is ruled by the Sun itself, the light of higher intelligence, evolution, soul, and abundance dawn on Earth.
Why We Honor the Sun God in Vedic Astrology
In the yogic tradition and Jyotish (or Vedic astrology), the Sun is not only considered a living, sentient being…but also a celestial being.
As we hail the royal Sun and his life-giving qualities, we also honor the Gods who are believed to be waking up from their night’s sleep.
That’s because for the Gods one earth year lasts just one day, as in heaven time moves faster.
Benefits of Makara Shankranti
The yogis said that at this time the Sun will influence our brain and intelligence, bringing more positivity, spiritual evolution, success and wealth.
Traditional Meditation to Invoke the Sun for Wealth and Vitality
You can do this meditation from January 14 – February 13 at sunrise or anytime, before 12 noon.
- After your shower or bath, sit in a quiet place.
- In your own sincere words, thank the Sun for sustaining life on the earth plane.
- Offer fruits, flowers, water, light a ghee lamp (or candle) and an incense stick in front of an image of the Sun.
- You’re welcome to download an image from this blog and put it on a clean shelf or altar.
- Recite the sound waves (or mantra) Om Suryaya Namaha 3 times.
- Invoke Lord Shiva, the Sun’s overlord, for protection by chanting Om Namashivaya as often as you wish, throughout the day.
- Chant and or listen to the Sun Gayatri mantra.
- Pour milk on a Shiva lingam (a symbolic representation of Shiva).
- Ask for super intelligence, wealth, good health, and evolution. Again, express your gratitude.
- Take your time, don’t rush.
You may notice that you feel refreshed, inspired and overall more positive.
Happy Spring renewal!
Want to know where the Sun is in your birth chart and how to get career and financial growth in the New Year?